This World
Written and illustrated by Ella
Watching the sun sink into the ground
With colours beaming all around
Ranginui created the sky
and the clouds that shift capriciously by
The rain, the sun and the moon
The glistening reflection on a lagoon
But not without a helping hand
from Papatūinuku who designed this land
Her hair making rivers where you are
Floating flatlands near and far
Making trees with their roads so deep in the ground
Building mountains so high, you can't hear a sound
But what's the point of making all this
When our minds are filled with loneliness?
Computers, iPads and phones
Try and push into these holes
But this doesn't help at all!
It makes us dumb, stupid and thick
Our friend list grows, but our talking shrinks
We miss chances in life
Like meeting our future wife
Or our kids first hockey goal
Because you were far too busy texting 'lol'
Or their school production
Because you said yes to the seduction
Or the soccer match which was on that night
And when you ask if he wants to fly a kite
It's too late, he's grown up
He's following your footsteps
He's following his mate's footsteps
He's following the population's footsteps
When you go home tonight, what will you do?
Will you pop to the park, or drive to the zoo?
Or climb a pohutukawa tree
There are a lot more sights to see
Instead of the digital screen
With boring group chats as you sit without emotion
Don't give that piece of metal all your devotion.
Go outside, hang with mates
Play cards, go make dates
Climb trees, sit and play in rivers
Papatūnuku and Ranganui made the earth to play on
So go play, run, jump, enjoy yourself, while you can...
You won't live forever.
So when the sun goes into the ground
Pay attention to the colours that beam all around
Give this world your love and emotion
Don't give that piece of metal all your devotion.

What a fabulous, creative poem Ella..You have real talent ! I loved reading it! Mrs May
ReplyDeleteElla - this is SENSATIONAL! I love your usage of imagery….I love the way that you have personified Papatunuku and Ranganui and given them human attributes. I love the usage of rhetorical questions, as this makes the reader really think about what they have read. I think you have written a wonderful piece of written work that challenges all of us about what we do in our lives especially around our usage of technology and the impact it has on us. WOW!!
ReplyDeleteCreative regards
Miss Rowe :)
Ella - this is SENSATIONAL! I love your usage of imagery….I love the way that you have personified Papatunuku and Ranganui and given them human attributes. I love the usage of rhetorical questions, as this makes the reader really think about what they have read. I think you have written a wonderful piece of written work that challenges all of us about what we do in our lives especially around our usage of technology and the impact it has on us. WOW!!
ReplyDeleteCreative regards
Miss Rowe :)
Hi Ella, thanks for sharing your mature ideas in such a creative way. It certainly makes me think - I will go home and take my wee Daniel to the forest to play in the trees. Thanks. Ms Saxon.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful! Well done Ella.
ReplyDelete